Sunday, August 6, 5 p.m. at the Levite Jewish Community Center
Building on last year’s success, the Levite Jewish Community Center will host its 2nd annual J’la Gala to benefit our wide range of programming for children and adults. This year’s theme, “Only at The J,” celebrates the unique and wonderful role The J plays in the lives of thousands of our neighbors.
Value for the community
Rooted in more than 100 years of service and built on the purpose of creating, serving, and enhancing community through the lens of Jewish identity, The J provides a safe and welcoming space for children and adults of all ages and backgrounds to learn and thrive.
Only at The J
Being the only Jewish community center in Alabama elevates the distinctly Jewish experiences we provide for everyone. These and other unique experiences that pretty much happen only at The J include:
- Thousands from across our extended community attend our annual Jewish Food and Culture Fest to nosh on a variety of scratch recipes that have been passed down for generations.
- Members love our fabulous summertime Thursday night pool parties that feature freshly grilled treats.
- Our extensive youth sports program includes Try Sports, a thrilling way for kids to discover a favorite sport.
- Craving kosher? We’ve got the only certified kosher eatery in the state.
- Pizitz Auditorium is a beautiful venue for our rejuvenated youth theater program that’s open to all ages and abilities (from novice to maybe… an Oscar-winner?).
- Every Friday is a “Challah Day” (get it?!) at the Cohn Early Learning Center, during which preschoolers of all faiths enjoy some traditional Jewish bread and learn about the heritage surrounding it.
- Braving our outdoor high dive — one of only two in the area — has been a rite of passage for generations of members.
- Meaningful Jewish holiday celebrations include Tu BiShvat reflective hikes, a Purim parade, a Passover candy seder, building a sukkah for Sukkot, lighting the Chanukah Grand Menorah, and more.
Donate to our silent auction
Artwork, performance tickets, personal training sessions, dining packages, tennis lessons, a taco party, and weekend getaways are just a few of the dozens of items we offered at last year’s J’la silent auction. If you have an item or a service that you’d like to offer — getting your business name in front of some 200 guests at the same time — please reach out to Erin Bodden.
Like it? Put your name on it.
As an event sponsor, you and your organization will contribute to the continuation of more than a century of service in Birmingham. Sponsors will receive the publicity and perks outlined below. Contact Brooke Bowles (205-383-4373) for more information.
Meet this year’s J’la sponsors
About the event
J’la 2023 will bring together Jewish and non-Jewish philanthropic community members and corporate sponsors who are excited to support the efforts of the LJCC.
Details for the evening
- Tickets: $125
- Silent auction and cocktail hour
- Plated three-course kosher dinner prepared by Chef Maureen Holt
- Live auction and fund-a-need managed by C. King Benefit Auctions
Contact Executive Director Brooke Bowles (205-879-0411) with your questions.