Thank you for joining the LJCC! The LJCC is committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for all members and guests. To promote safety and comfort for all, all individuals are asked to act maturely, behave responsibly, and respect the rights and dignity of others.
The Mission of the Levite Jewish Community Center is to enhance Jewish Identity by providing an environment for programs and activities that promotes cultural enrichment, cultivates educational development and provides for the well-being of its members.
Through the lens of Jewish identity and values, the Levite Jewish Community Center provides a welcoming, family-oriented gathering place for a diverse membership to engage in meaningful experiences of the mind, body, and soul.
We cultivate memorable life experiences and meaningful relationships.
We pursue collaboration within the Jewish and broader communities.
We empower individuals to learn and understand Jewish values.
We provide a welcoming and open environment.
We embrace and celebrate diversity.
We encourage wellness of the mind, body, and soul.
We connect our community to the people of the State of Israel.
- Closed, non-glass water bottles are permitted throughout the Health & Fitness Center.
- Cell phones must be kept on vibrate. Keep necessary phone calls quiet and to a minimum.
- Workout attire must be worn while working out. Athletic shoes must be worn while working out.
- Shirts and shoes must be worn while walking through the Health & Fitness Center.
- No gym bags or backpacks may be brought into workout areas of the Health & Fitness Center. Bags that are left unattended or obstruct the pathway will be removed from the Health & Fitness Center floor. Please use the locker room for storage.
HOURS OF OPERATION
Visit bhamjcc.org for the most up-to-date building hours and indoor/outdoor pool schedules. Building hours, health & fitness schedules and pool schedules are also available at the front desk.
The Levite Jewish Community Center recognizes Jewish and federal holidays which may impact our operating hours. For an updated list of closings and hours, visit bhamjcc.org. Signs will also be posted at the front desk.
In the event of inclement weather, visit bhamjcc.org for the most up-to-date class schedules and Center hours. In addition, closings and delays in our geographic area will be reported by major television stations. Please download our app to receive notifications about closures.
SUPERVISION & RESPONSIBILITY
All children thirteen and younger are required to be under adult supervision at all times while in the Center. Parents are responsible for their children while they are in the building. For instance, if your child pulls a fire alarm for anything other than an emergency, parents are expected to pay all of the fees and fines from the fire and rescue department as well as an additional fee of $250 to the Levite Jewish Community Center.
Children under the age of 14 have to be supervised by someone sixteen or older. Children under the age of 14 must be escorted to programs by someone sixteen or older.
LOSS OF PRIVILEGES
The Levite Jewish Community Center reserves the right to suspend, cancel and/or terminate memberships without refund for inappropriate behavior, failure to follow the rules or other reasons including, but not limited to the following:
- Allowing facility access to non-Levite Jewish Community Center members who have not been granted a guest pass
- Damage or destruction of Levite Jewish Community Center property
- Failure to follow proper safety precautions and practices
- Failure to pay membership fees
- Failure to follow policies set by the Levite Jewish Community Center
- Harassment of other participants, members or staff
- Inappropriate behavior
- Physical and/or verbal threats or altercations with members, guests or staff
- Physical or verbal abuse, or use of profanity
- Use of illegal substances on the premises or alcohol outside of approved areas or events. Loss of privileges may be appealed to The Levite Jewish Community Center.
LOCKER ROOM & RESTROOM POLICY
Locker rooms and restroom facilities will be maintained by the Levite Jewish Community Center in an effort to provide private areas for individuals to use and to maintain respect for others’ privacy. Transgender individuals may use the locker room/restroom of their choosing.
There may be instances when a member or guest may require usage of a locker room and/or restroom that is not labeled for their gender identity. Some of those instances include, as examples:
Children under seven years old are permitted to enter the family locker room/restroom with their caregiver, regardless as to whether the child’s sex or gender is the same as the caregiver, in order to ensure appropriate personal care and supervision.
Individuals with physical, intellectual and/or developmental limitations who require a personal caregiver, are permitted to enter a restroom with their caregiver of the opposite sex or gender.
- The Levite Jewish Community Center does not assume liability for items brought into the Health & Fitness Center.
- Our lockers without locks are not designed to protect valuables.
- Bring your own lock to secure your locker.
- Day-use lockers are for day use only, and locks cannot be left overnight.
- Please refrain from changing in the lavatory stalls or in the showers, as others may be waiting.
- In order to conserve natural resources, please be courteous with your shower time.
- Do not use hair coloring (which stains surfaces) or strong fragrances or other chemical applications, as they may unintentionally cause allergic reactions.
STEAM ROOMS & SAUNAS
- A shower is required before entering the steam rooms or saunas.
- No personal grooming in the steam rooms or saunas.
- Do not apply any lotions in the steam rooms or saunas.
- Do not tamper with sensors in the steam rooms or saunas.
- Do not pour water on the heating element in the saunas.
- You must wear a bathing suit or sit on a towel when using the steam rooms or saunas.
- Do not use sauna to dry or store clothing.
HEALTH & FITNESS CENTER
- Allow other people to “work-in” on the equipment.
- Wear closed toe athletic shoes at all times.
- Wipe off weight and aerobic equipment after use; disinfectant wipes are available.
- Replace all fitness equipment to its designated space after use so others may find it easily.
- Limit cardio equipment workouts to 30 minutes when others are waiting
FITNESS CENTER ETIQUETTE/RULES
The Levite Jewish Community Center Health & Fitness Center is open to full facility members age 16 and older. Members aged 12-15 can use the Fitness Floor with adult supervision. Cardio Equipment can be used by 8-13 year olds with adult supervision or 14 or older without supervision.
GROUP EXERCISE CLASSES
- Out of respect for others and for your personal safety, please arrive on time and leave promptly at the end of each class.
- For the safety of all participants, no one will be allowed to enter the class if they are more than 10 minutes late or at the instructor’s discretion if the class is full.
- Studios may not be used outside of class times.
- Please wait to enter the classroom until the previous class is over, even if it’s running late.
- No food or beverages are allowed in the gymnasium (non-glass water bottles are permitted).
- Athletic shoes must be worn on the gym floor (no street shoes or hard-soled shoes that leave marks).
- Shirts must be worn at all times. Dry shorts must be worn—no wet swimsuits allowed.
- Members and guests should return basketballs to the front desk after use.
- Profanity, fighting, excessive yelling and inappropriate aggressiveness will not be tolerated and may result in the suspension of membership privileges.
- Children younger than 14 years old must be accompanied by a member at least 16 years old.
- The posted gymnasium schedule must be adhered to at all times.
- The gymnasium schedule may be changed at any time without prior notice.
- The gymnasium does not have basketballs for members—please bring your own.
Pool Rules are posted throughout the Aquatic Center and it is the staff members’ responsibility to know, understand, comply, and enforce these rules, as well as the Policies and Procedures. The outdoor pool is only open to Elite members. Anyone using the pool does so at their own risk. The Levite Jewish Community Center is not responsible for any injury that may occur to individuals participating in any activity. The LJCC reserves the right to refuse access to any patron who violates any rule or regulation or misuses or abuses the facility.
Aquatic Center Rules are as follows:
- Our Indoor Pool is open facility hours (please see above). Our Outdoor is open seasonally from May to September and its hours are as follows:
- Monday 9:00am-7:30pm
- Tuesday – 9:00am-7:30pm
- Wednesday – 9:00am-7:30pm
- Thursday – 9:00am-7:30pm
- Friday – 9:00am-4:00pm
- Saturday and Sunday – 9:00am-5:30pm
- Alabama State Law requires that all patrons shower using water and soap before entering the pool or spa.
- Patrons with open wounds or infections are prohibited from using the pools.
- All pools will be cleared of patrons during thunder and lightning.
- Appropriate swim attire must be worn (gym-shorts and street clothes prohibited). Please be aware that the LJCC is a family friendly facility and please dress as such.
- All children not toilet trained must wear a iPlay Swim Diapers. No disposable diapers are allowed. We have diapers for sale at the Front Desk if needed.
- Patrons 13 years of age or younger must be directly supervised by a guardian who must be on the pool deck or in the water, within their line of sight
- Smoking, controlled substances, alcohol, weapons, gum, and glass containers are prohibited.
- Patrons suspected to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol will not be admitted.
- Spitting, spouting water, and blowing nose in the water is prohibited.
- Hanging on the pool lines is prohibited
- Running or horseplay on any portion of the pool deck is prohibited.
- Diving in the shallow end of the pool is prohibited.
- At the discretion of the Lifeguard on duty dive rings, noodles, and balls may be used.
- Profanity or abusive language is prohibited.
- Do not talk to the lifeguards while they are on duty.
- Kickboards, pull-buoys, bum-bells, wet-belts, etc. are for exercise only. These items are not to be used as floatation devices.
- If you need an accommodation to safely and enjoyably participate in any of our programs, please see a Lifeguard, Swim Instructor, Swim Coach, or the Aquatics Director.
- For health reasons, the use of regular diapers and/or plastic pants are not allowed. Only approved swim diapers are permitted.
- Do not bring valuables to the Aquatic Center.
- In the event of inclement weather, pool and deck will be cleared. Patrons are asked to wait in their cars until the “Pool Closed” flag is removed and the pool is reopened.
- Patrons must supply their own lock for lockers. Locks must be removed at the end of the day, or will be removed by staff. The LJCC is not responsible for loss or theft of personal belongings.
- Anyone caught vandalizing, stealing, or breaking and entering will be subject to prosecution.
- Listen and watch for safety instructions from Lifeguards on duty.
- Use of the diving boards are at the discretion of the Lifeguards on duty. Only one swimmer jumping at a time, other swimmers on diving boards must wait until that swimmer has cleared the area before jumping. No more than two bounces are allowed before a swimmer must jump. No more than one swimmer on a board at a time, this includes the ladder.
- Diving board will be closed to members during Swim & Dive Team
- Any swimmer regardless of age indicating signs of panic or demonstrating an inability to swim will initiate the facility ERP by a Lifeguard on duty. Once rescued and the proper medical care has been provided, the swimmer will have to undergo a swim test with the Aquatics Director to gain the confidence of the Lifeguards and be allowed back into the pool.
The Levite Jewish Community Center has three membership levels: Classic, Plus, and Elite. Each level receives access to different amenities, which will be explained in full below. The LJCC monitors the access to individual spaces—the outdoor pool, fitness rooms, etc—with facility access. Members will use their membership cards to scan and access those specific areas. Members are expected to adhere to the amenities that fall under their membership level. We ask that you do not share your membership access with other users. In order to gain access to amenities outside your level, go to the bhamjcc.org to level up!
- Unlimited virtual group classes
- The Fitness Center/Cardio area
- The outdoor track
- The indoor pool
- The tennis courts
- The basketball courts
- The Live Up Community
- Free events
- All amenities at Classic Level
- Unlimited premium classes
- Unlimited group fitness
- Cohn ECLC eligibility
- Seven guest passes (please see rules for guest passes below)
- Outdoor pool access
- All amenities at Plus level
Failure to adhere to your membership or providing access to spaces to lower leveled members will result in the termination of membership.
Upon entering the building, all members and staff must scan their membership card at the security desk for access to the Center. Guests who wish to use the Health & Fitness Center must also complete a guest waiver. All members must be checked in, including children.
MEMBERSHIP & PROGRAM PARTICIPANT POLICY
The Levite Jewish Community Center will not turn away any person applying for membership because of their race, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, including lactation), age, marital status, religion, disability or medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identification, genetic characteristics or the results of genetic testing, veteran status, or any other category protected by federal, state, and local anti-discrimination laws.
The Levite Jewish Community Center does not tolerate verbal or physical harassment of anyone associated with the Levite Jewish Community Center or anyone that attends any Levite Jewish Community Center event. All incidents of harassment should be reported to the nearest JCC staff member.
The Levite Jewish Community Center’s policy is to treat individuals according to their self-identified gender. Private information, including a person’s status as transgender, their gender transition, and any medical information will be treated as strictly confidential.
CHILD SUPERVISION POLICIES
All children thirteen or younger must be supervised by an adult at all times while in the facility. This includes, but is not limited to the Indoor and Outdoor Pools, the Fitness Floor, and the Wood Gym. The child must with the adult (eighteen or older) at the all times within the facility. Children aged thirteen or younger must be escorted to youth programming by a coach or by a patron sixteen or older.
PAYMENT METHODS FOR MEMBERSHIP DUES AND PROGRAM FEES
EFT (Electronic Funds Transfers) is an electronic, automatic monthly method of payment and is the preferred payment method. Members may use a checking account or debit card for EFT payments. EFT payments will be drafted on the 1st of each month for that month’s membership dues. If the 1st of the month falls on a weekend, membership dues will be drafted on the next business day.
LATE OR RETURNED ITEM CHARGE
A late fee or returned item charge of $30 will be assessed for all returned checks, insufficient funds, closed accounts, frozen or declined credit cards or any similar circumstance that results in late or delayed payment to the Levite Jewish Community Center.
All members age 14 and older will be issued a membership ID card. Membership cards must be presented when entering the building and will provide access to the Center in accordance with the type of membership and age of the member. A member who has forgotten their ID badge must present another form of identification, sign in at the security desk and can request a temporary guest badge from the front desk. The member will be asked to exchange car keys or an ID for the temporary guest badge.
LOST MEMBERSHIP CARDS
The membership department can issue replacement cards during regular membership hours. There is a $10 replacement fee for lost or stolen cards. Members will be given two weeks to find their lost card before being required to purchase a replacement card.
The Levite Jewish Community Center will provide members 30 days advance notice of dues increases via email.
MEMBERSHIP STATUS CHANGE
In accordance with the membership agreement, any change to membership must be communicated in writing. To authorize changes relating to your membership, submit an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Status changes are subject to a processing fee.
The following changes must be communicated in writing:
- Membership freeze (see Freeze/Hold section for policy)
- Change in membership type, including changing program membership to full facility membership and adding or removing family members (Note: Such requests must be initiated by the primary member on the account and are subject to a $25 processing fee.)
- Cancellation (see Membership Cancellation section for policy)
As per the membership agreement, requests to cancel your membership must be received in writing. Members must provide 30 days advance notice prior to the next billing period in order to cancel their membership.
MEMBERSHIP FREEZE OR HOLD
- Members may freeze their account for up to 90 days in a 12-month period.
- Requests to freeze membership must be communicated in writing.
- Membership dues will begin drafting automatically at the end of the freeze.
- Requests to freeze or change a membership must be communicated before the first of the month. Once dues have been charged for the month, they cannot be refunded.
- The cancellation policy remains in effect while a membership is frozen.
- A processing fee of 25% of monthly dues, up to a maximum of $30 will be charged for each freeze period.
- Medical and financial holds are no charge with proper documentation.
- Each Plus or Elite Member Unit (Family, Couple, and Individual) will include seven (7), one-day passes in a calendar year. Once the seven (7) one-day passes have been exhausted, you may purchase one-day guest passes in advance by contacting our membership department at email@example.com. Day passes for the fitness center/cardio area, group fitness classes, tennis courts, indoor pool and basketball courts are $15 a day. Outdoor pool passes are $25 a day.
- Although a Classic Membership does not include one-day guest, you may purchase passes by contacting our membership department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Day passes for the fitness center/cardio area, tennis courts, indoor pool and basketball courts are $15 a day. Outdoor pool one-day passes are not available for purchase by Classic members.
- If you change your membership tier to a Classic level, you forfeit remaining one-day passes on your account.
- Guest passes are required for individuals ages 5 and up.
- Guest under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Passes will be loaded electronically onto membership account – no need to keep track of paper passes!
- Guest passes that are not redeemed will expire after one year.
- Each day pass is good for an individual, couple or family for one day.
- Guests must all reside at the same address to qualify as a couple or family to enter on one pass.
- The Member must accompany the Guest during the visit and approve the use of the pass from the account.
- All Guests must fill out a Guest Information Sheet and sign a liability waiver and present a current picture ID.
- Guests 17 years old and under require a parent or legal guardian to sign the liability waiver.
- Members must be in good standing in order for free Guest Passes to be utilized.
- Member cannot bring a Guest during any period they are on “freeze” status. Expired, past due or canceled memberships must return account to active status and paid current to use passes.
- Guest passes are forfeited when a membership is terminated or expires.
- An individual can only be a guest three times in any 12-month period.
- One-day passes must be redeemed by Primary or Secondary Adult Member.
- We offer reciprocity to members of other JCCs for seven (7) days with the presentation of an out-of-town JCC card and photo identification. Member must be in good standing with their home JCC. Restrictions may apply and you are encouraged to contact Membership (email@example.com) prior to your trip.
- Guests who are visiting the area from out of town (more than 50 miles away) who do not belong to a JCC may purchase a one-day guest pass for $25. A driver’s license, current student ID, or other proof of residency is required to purchase the pass. Out-of-town guests under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
Babysitters—Members may purchase a three month pass for a nanny for $60. This pass will allow access to the facility, only while caring for children on the membership. The nanny must be at least sixteen (sixteen and seventeen year olds must have signed waiver by adult member). The nanny must have the pass when entering the facility.
The Levite Jewish Community Center is committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for all members and visitors. To promote safety and comfort for all, we ask all guests to act appropriately, to respect the rights of others and to obey all LJCC policies when using the facility. The LJCC reserves the right to suspend or revoke guest privileges, without refund, if an individual does not act within these guidelines.
The LJCC is committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for all members and guests. To promote safety and comfort for all, all individuals are asked to act appropriately at all times when in our facility or participating in our programs.
We expect persons using the LJCC to act maturely, to behave responsibly, and to respect the rights and dignity of others. Our Code of Conduct outlines prohibited actions, but the actions listed below are not an all-inclusive list of behaviors considered inappropriate in our facilities or programs.
- Drinking alcohol or possessing illegal chemicals on the LJCC property or in LJCC vehicles
- Using tobacco or vape products on LJCC property—the LJCC and its property is a smoke-free environment
- Carrying or concealing a weapon or any object that may be used as a weapon
- Harassing or intimidating others by words, gestures, body language, or any type of menacing behavior
- Physical contact with another person in an angry, aggressive, or threatening way
- Verbally abusive behavior; any sexual contact with another person
- Wearing attire that is inappropriate in a family friendly space, like the LJCC
- Theft or behavior that results in the destruction or loss of property
- Taking pictures of any kind in the LJCC locker rooms is prohibited and may lead to suspension of the LJCC membership
- Anyone taking pictures/videos of another person without their permission and knowledge will be prosecuted by the LJCC. This may also lead to the suspension or termination of the membership
- Members and program participants who require medical attention while at the LJCC, including needing medical care from staff or emergency services, will need to provide medical clearance to the LJCC staff when returning to wellness or programming.
In addition, the LJCC reserves the right to deny access or membership to any person who has been accused or convicted of any crime involving sexual abuse, is or has been a registered sex offender, has ever been convicted of any offense relating to the use, sale, possession, or transportation of narcotics or habit forming and/or dangerous drugs, or is presently or habitually under the influence of dangerous drugs or chemicals, narcotics, or intoxicating beverages. The LJCC conducts regular sex offender screenings on all members, participants, and guests.
Members and guests are encouraged to take responsibility for their personal comfort and safety by asking any person whose behavior threatens their comfort to refrain from such behavior. Anyone who feels uncomfortable confronting a person directly should report the behavior to a staff person.
LJCC members are eager to be of assistance. Members and guests should not hesitate to notify a staff member if assistance is needed.
In order to be able to carry out these policies, we ask that members and guests identify themselves to staff when asked.
The Executive Director and Membership Director will investigate all reported incidents. Suspension or termination of LJCC membership privileges may result from a determination by the Executive Director/Membership Director, if a violation of the LJCC Code of Conduct has occurred.
LOST OR STOLEN ITEMS
The Levite Jewish Community Center is not responsible for lost or stolen items. Lockers are available for those who wish to store their valuables while participating in Center programs/activities. Lost and Found bins are located behind the front desk and in the adult men’s and women’s locker room closets.
Parking is available to members and guests free of charge. The Levite Jewish Community Center is not responsible for items left in vehicles or damage to any vehicle parked in its lot. Overnight parking is prohibited; vehicles parked overnight may be towed at the owner’s expense. If your vehicle is towed, contact Birmingham Police Department.
PHOTOGRAPHY AND VIDEOS
As authorized by the Levite Jewish Community Center, photographs and audio/video recordings are taken for possible use in Levite Jewish Community Center print or electronic publications, website, social media, or by the media. No compensation is provided to individuals who appear in the photographs or videos. Video, photography and audio produced by the Levite Jewish Community Center is proprietary. Members, guests and visitors are not permitted to take photographs or videos without the Center’s written consent. Photography and videos are never permitted in the locker rooms. If you do not wish for your (or your child’s) image to appear in our publications or news stories about the Levite Jewish Community Center, please contact the ECLC or the LJCC.
The Levite Jewish Community Center prohibits the solicitation, distribution and posting of materials on or at the Center by any employee or non-employee, except with express permission from a member of the management team.
The Levite Jewish Community Center is a smoke-free facility.
The Levite Jewish Community Center is accessible for all. Wheelchairs are available for those who need assistance, as are elevators and ADA-compliant wheelchair lifts for the swimming pools.
SAFETY AND SECURITY
The number one priority of the Levite Jewish Community Center is to provide a safe and secure environment for everyone within our facility. We are in regular contact with local law enforcement and security advisors to make sure we are providing the appropriate level of security and following proper procedures. We take many precautions that may or may not be noticeable to the general public and membership. Please remember that vigilance is a shared responsibility between members and staff, and “if you see something, say something.”
The Levite Jewish Community Center is committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for all members and guests. The LJCC reserves the right to deny access or membership to any person who fails to comply with safety protocols, policies and procedures that are in place to protect the health and well-being of all.
The LJCC maintains the right to update or change any health protocols at any time, in order to best ensure the safety and wellbeing of our members. Please be sure to follow all posted rules, as these rules are the most current. You can also find our most updated rules at bhamjcc.org. These rules are strictly enforced and members who do not follow them may be subject to termination.