According to My Jewish Learning, Hanukkah, or the Festival of Rededication, celebrates the rededication of the Temple in Jerusalem after its defilement by the Syrian Greeks in 164 BCE. The eight-day festival of Hanukkah has become a beloved and joyous holiday. Also known as the Festival of Lights, Hanukkah usually takes place in December (this year it’s December 18-26). Read more at My Jewish Learning.
Here at The J we’ve lined up some small events to complement daily menorah lightings performed by various friends.
Here’s what’s going on at The J and around the area:
Thursday, December 15
- Matzah Ball at the Birmingham Zoo
Friday, December 16
- N.E. Miles Jewish Day School Winter Concert at 1:30 p.m.
Sunday, December 18
First night of Hanukkah
- Join us at The Summit at 4:30 p.m. for the Grand Menorah Lighting event featuring music, latkes, donuts, and Hanukkah festivities for the whole family: a 360° photo booth, juggling, a balloon twister, Hanukkah tattoos, a drum circle, and more.
Monday, December 19
- Watch the movie Eight Crazy Nights at 2 p.m. here at The J in the Senior Lounge followed by the lobby menorah lighting at 4:30 p.m.
- Community menorah lighting at Temple Beth-el at 5 p.m.
Tuesday, December 20
- Menorah lighting with the Shinshinim (two young Israeli emissaries who have been living in B’ham for the past year) and their families
- Menorah lighting at Vestavia City Hall at 5 p.m. followed by a Hanukkah car parade
Wednesday, December 21
- LATKES! J members will be able to enjoy delicious fried potato cakes in the lobby in the morning and during the 5 p.m. Member Mingle. Kids in the Early Childhood Learning Center will also get to enjoy the crispy treats. A family from the Cohn Early Childhood Learning Center will light the lobby menorah at 4:30 p.m.
Friday, December 23
- Oneg shabbat with beer and latkes for LJCC Junior Board members at 4 p.m., followed by lighting the lobby menorah at 4:30 p.m.
Sunday, December 25
- Great Wall of Chinakah (kosher Chinese buffet) at Chabad of Alabama